For a list of my published research see my publications page. This page gives an overview of my active research.
Working papers and selected conference presentations
Wilson, B. (2013) Understanding the Fertility Convergence of Migrant Generations, International Union for the Scientific Study of Population, Busan, August 2013
Wilson, B. and Kuha, J. (2014) What is the influence of childhood exposure to cultural norms? The role of segregation and community composition in explaining migrant fertility, British Society for Population Studies, Winchester, September 2014
Wilson, B. (2013) Disentangling the quantum and tempo of immigrant fertility, 7th International Conference on Population Geographies, Groningen, June 2013
Work in progress
My active research covers three different research areas. Please get in touch if you’d like to discuss any of these.
The demographic outcomes of migration:
- The influence of exposure to destination norms on the life course of immigrants and their descendants (work with colleagues at Stockholm University Demography Unit)
- Selective migration and its impact on demographic events: Does migration disrupt the life course?
- Understanding the integration of refugees and asylum seekers in Europe (work with Dominik Hangartner and a separate project with Dwan Kaoukji)
Life course demography:
- Understanding the factors that influence fertility over the life course: new approaches to causality and mediation (a project with Maarten Bijlsma)
- Regional inequalities in mortality (work with Juho Härkönen, Sven Drefahl, and Isaac Sasson as part of the TITA project)
- Cohabitation at older ages: Understanding trends and variation (a project with Rachel Stuchbury and Alice Goisis)
- Unmarried cohabiting parenthood as a marker of socio-economic disadvantage? A comparison of France and Britain (a project with Lidia Panico, Laurent Toulemon, and Alice Goisis)
Demography, development, and reproductive health:
- Evaluating interventions to improve reproductive health outcomes in Ethiopia and Bangladesh (a project with Paul Bouanchaud and BBC Media Action)
- Evaluating the effect of policy changes on female genital mutilation in Africa (a project with Valeria Cetorelli, Ewa Batyra, and Ernestina Coast)
- Understanding the fertility transition in Africa: A life course approach (a project with Moshi Herman)
- Fertility, inequality, and the demographic transition